Soak up the Son

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Ok last night I did, by far, one of the koolest things ever. I went on my very first haunted hike. Oh, and by the way, just to set the record straight, I do not believe or celebrate Halloween. Len, a friend at work, saw it in the paper and the more she read the kooler it sounded, we made reservations for Len, Carly, Kendra, Rachel, and I. We had a blast! We hiked mile and a 1/2 up and down these Tennessee hills and through the woods. And no, I wasn't going to Grandmother's house and the wolf did not make an appearance. The Big Ridge State Park Ranger led the way through the forest. Along the way she stopped and told us a story about a couple who were walking through the woods late one night because someone was sick and they were going to help. This was back in the 1800's. Along the way they heard a noise that sounded like a dog but they continued. Eventually the dog was tripping them and getting in their way. When they looked down there was nothing there. They never saw an animal, but they heard one and felt one all the way to where they were going. Needless to say, they got spooked and took off running. After that story we stopped at the old grave yard and saw their graves. Then the Ranger told us another story in the grave yard before we headed on up to the site of the old house. When we got there we all stood around what use to be the old cellar, all that remains is a hole in the ground. While standing there the Ranger told us more stories of things this family would see and hear in this house. One couple was offered the house for free if they would spend the entire night there. The husband, knowing the previous tales that accompanied the house was very objective to it and denied. The wife, on the other hand, being a practical woman convinced him to stay with her. Throughout the night they heard noises in every room. With each noise the wife would grab her husband by the hand and drag him to the sound and each time there was nothing. They lasted all night and in morning the owner of the house said, "Congratulations, the house is yours". The husband felt pretty proud of his strong wife and thanked him. The wife, on the other hand, decided it really wouldn't be worth it and said she wanted to be closer to her mother. They kept the house, however, they did not live there, and only worked the fields. Some of the stories were kind of humorous but we did get pretty spooked at one point. While the Ranger told the story she came to a part that spoke of the couple hearing footsteps on the porch, at that exact time we heard "BOOM, BOOM, BOOM" in the distance. We heard it the entire time she spoke of the footsteps and then we didn't hear it any more, (nothing was staged) and we were in the middle of nowhere. This really spooked Carly. On the way back we walked on a ridge and the return trail was very difficult. I was looking around with my flash light and I saw a root coming out of the ground that looked just like an old tomb stone. I was showing it to them and the next thing I knew I was falling and stumbling over a stump. I busted my shin all up, but I'm ok. Everyone was laughing at me though. :) Anyway the night was absolutely beautiful and the stars were incredible. I kept tripping because I was looking at the sky. :) I wish I could have slept under the stars, but then again, it was cold and the stories weren't very assuring. If I ever have the opportunity I will do it again. So, that was my Saturday, after Friday the 13th, on a cold October night.
posted by Soak up the Son at 5:17 PM

1 Comments:

Wow! Sounds like you had FUN! love ya and miss you! ~

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home